1/24/12

exploring with the camera: windows

I love architecture - the lines, the texture of walls, the shapes of shadows and light.  However, I find it very difficult to photograph a whole building so I've discovered it's much more interesting to focus on the details.....what, in particular, made me look twice at that particular building.  Usually it's a window or door.  I find them endlessly fascinating.

Kat over at KatEye Studio is focusing on how windows can be used in photography and her tutorial will help you visualize how a window can be used effectively in composing an interesting photo.  As I searched my archives (I actually have a window 'tag' because I take so many), I found many old favorites that I'd forgotten about.

Most recently, I took this out my window during an ice storm here in Seattle.

I love old weathered buildings and the windows that punctuate them.


Both photos Shelburne Museum, Vermont
As Kat explains, windows can capture, reflect, or show the light - here the interplay of shadows makes the architecture that much more interesting.

Albany, NY airport
Capturing interesting reflections in a window is a great technique to show a different perspective on the surroundings.
Bellagio reflected in a nearby window, Las Vegas

Windows can serve as a design element, a way to anchor a subject like a textured wall or flower garden (above).
San Juan Capistrano

Texture and reflection in San Juan Capistrano

Tenerife, Canary Islands

Sorento, Italy

Repetition is always a good tool for creating an interesting composition.  When windows are the repeating element, magic!
Burano, Italy

Las Vegas

If you haven't fallen in love with using windows in your photos yet, make that a goal this year.....feature a window or a piece of a window in your compositions and see if you don't start a love affair that will last.  Thanks Kat for the walk down memory lane as I enjoyed my window photos all over again.
Also sharing with Creative Every Day.

21 comments:

  1. You have some fabulous window shots there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love windows and doors, too! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Terrie, fantastic images! I love so many of these. Great examples of so many different ways to use windows. You are a master! I'm glad to find out we share a love of these windows. Thanks for sharing in Exploring with a Camera!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful collection of windows...your captured them beautifully. These would make a beautiful collage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous array of windows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each picture is more beautiful than the last! Your photography is brilliant!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good day!

    I came across your blog through the Creative Everyday. I am so glad that I stopped by your blog because your photos are just so amazing and at the same time inspiring. :-)

    Honestly, I have never really focused on windows and now, I am looking at your window shots and they are just so wonderful. My favourite window views are those in Sorento and Burano Italy. I guess they look so simple that it actually stands out. I also love that there are the beautiful flowers around it. :-)

    Thank you so much for sharing these with us. It got me so interested in taking photos of windows as well. :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

    I hope you can drop by my blog as well and connect. :-)

    xoxo
    Ida

    http://asplashofida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your collection of windows is amazing! I love the variety!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many beautiful windows here - love the shadow one, the multiples window, oh my just too many to list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You have some fabulous window images! I can see you love texture and lines. The Las Vegas shot is terrific and so are the S.J.Cs. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:01 PM

    Great shots Terrie. I've always loved photos of windows, shadows, light, well just about everything that makes a great shot ;).
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrie, these photos are incredible. I love architecture too, and some of these pics just made my jaw drop. Gorgeous, gorgeous. The colours, composition... some of them look mysterious even. Thanks for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:20 PM

    Terrie, What an eye you have! These images are gorgeous. I can't even begin to pick a favourite..each one is such a beauty, and a unique take on windows. I will linger a little longer here..to take in all that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:23 PM

    Sorry, Terrie, the comment above is from me, Juli. Not sure why my name didn't pop up. Apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are absolutely stunning Terrie! I love pictures of windows and doors. Your images have such wonderful colors and composition.

    I just tried to browse your Etsy shop and found no items listed?? I'm assuming these will be added soon?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful collection of windows! You have a wonderful eye. The lines and shadow and the composition in the 4th image are just wonderful.
    Thank you for your visit and kind comment..

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lot of different windows, love the serie of these, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the series, each one different from the other. I can't choose a favorite, they are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your windows, what an amazing collection you have! Kat's post was so inspiring and I love the posts on this, so inspiring. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your window shots. Such a beautiful collection from lots of wonderful places.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!